Tuesday 17 April 2012

Tony Cobley assistance

Today I assisted a well known photographer who has visited the university serveral times. I contacted him via email to see if I would be able to do some work assistance with him. To both gain more experience and just to see how some one more established within the commerstial field. I was contacted to assist with a portrait shoot for a business firm in the city centre.

I was contacted by a text message.
Meeting at 8:45 at 22 lockyer street plymouth.
asked to dress fairy smartly ( this would make a good impression on tony himself and also the clients he was working with.)

after introductions we got straight to work transporting Tonys portable studio to a spare room which had been set aside for us to work. Throughout the set up it was a time for us both to get to know each other, for me it was interesting to find out how tony got started and his own practise back in college; He seem interested in my current project of exploring my family and new cameras.

Tony talked me through the risk assessments for the room such as wires, lighting and tripping over floor plugs. Testing lighting and doing pre shots to make sure everything was set up for when the clients started to arrive. we had 11 people to shoot in total.

By this time i was mostly observing but after each model tony would talk me through the photographs he had taken he would always have the model standing as it gives better posture, he would have some image of them looking straight at the camera and then some looking at me or another model slightly out of shot to mix it up. how he connects with the model was really important he would try to make them laugh and suggested they came up in pairs so it wasn't so intrusive.

 He had a interesting way of working where he would get the client see the images he had taken and be involved in the editing process cutting about 20 images down to 3 or 4 making it easier to process and get back to the client faster, something to take away with me for further shoots.

After everything was finished and packed away I thanked him for the opportunity and was nice to hear i'd been very professional and made a great effort. I've also been offered the opportunity to assist him on  a wedding in May which I took as a good sign for further work experience.


link to his website

No comments:

Post a Comment